Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What is the point of this blog?

I am often asked why I have decided to express my opinion about religion and lack of belief in god(s). Why not simply let theists believe what they want? Why should I try to convince people that there is no god?

First, I cannot prove there is no god. It is impossible to prove a negative. It is not up to me to prove there is no god anyway. It is up to the person who makes the claim to prove it. If I claimed there was a 100 foot long mouse living in my backyard, people would expect that I prove this claim before they would be willing to believe it. The same holds true for statements of belief in any god. What I can do, however, is show the inconsistencies in certain religious beliefs. Therefore, while I cannot show there is no god, I can show that the biblical concept of god is absurd. (Or any revealed god, for that matter, take your pick).

Second, I do not post these opinions because I believe deeply religious people will change their minds, most are too far set in their god delusion. I post these opinions, so that people who are still seeking answers can see that there is a rational response to theists.

Third, I really could not care less what religious people believe. However, when religious people try to insert their ideas into law, I stand up and say NO! There are too many important topics, such as birth control education, stem cell research, separation of church and state, and evolution to allow their misguided, mistaken beliefs to shape public policy.

I am often asked when I stopped believing. I never believed. Not even as a child when it is easier to instill guilt and beliefs into young impressionable minds. I read the bible to see if I could see these "truths" that I had heard about for years. It did open my eyes. I discovered that it was not the good book as it is represented, but filled with stories of a vengeful, angry god who kills his creation for the slightest mistake. It is a story of a god who blames others for his mistakes, and then kills them on top of that. It confirmed what I had always known, that it is not the word of a god, but a book written by primitive and superstitious men.

Finally, religion has had its day. For at least 6,000 years, mankind has been worshipping some god, often hundreds at a time. . During that time, people have killed each other in the name of religion in numbers too great to count. In the last 200 years, we have gone down a different path, a path illuminated by science. In those 200 years, we have learned more about the world, then all of the previous 9,800 when religion held the power. Currently, the religion of Islam is fighting a battle against the world. It shall either temper itself, or the world will shut it down. We can no longer allow the religious extremists to dictate the terms of the debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment